Red Berry Cream Cheese Sponge Cake
First, we make sponge cake.
This is how I make like to make it . It is another great way to use my favorite kitchen tool, my handy immersion blender with my whip attachment for this fluffy sweet treat.
1.5 cups sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 cup whole milk
1/4 cup butter (lightly salted)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3. Add sugar to the yolks and beat until pale and fluffy. Add vanilla and stir on low until just combined.
4. In a third bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Add to egg yolk mixture until just combined. (I use the whisk with no power for this one)
5. Add milk and softened butter, beat just until combined.
6. Fold in whites, small batches at a time until fully incorporated. (I use the whisk with no power for this one)
7. Pour into two greased and floured 8″ round cake pans or one large bunt cake mold.
8. Bake at 325 until the middle springs back when touched, or a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand in pans for 10 minutes. Then turn out onto wire cooling racks and cool completely.
Hint: Cakes are close to being done when you start to smell them.
While the cake is baking you make the frosting.
- 2 ounces butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange/lemon juice
- 4 ounces whipped cream or coolwhip type topping.
In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Add 1 teaspoon orange/lemon juice. Fold in the whipped cream.
After you ice your light and airy Sponge-o-riffic Cake-o-rama! Top it with mixed berries of your liking. I had these frozen strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry melody garnished with a sprig of mint from our garden! ENJOY.